If you train BJJ constantly, you’ll easily realize how important it is to have a really good BJJ mat to roll on. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu mats are crucial when it comes to training BJJ. They keep your body safe, protecting you from any unwanted abrasions. That’s why all BJJ gyms got them! But what if you want to train outside of your gym? If you want to train at home, you need yourself some good Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Mats to roll around on!
Sometimes training at your gym isn’t enough for you. If you are addicted like the rest of us, and can’t get enough of it, your gonna want to train outside of your gym. With the right equipment you can do so at the leisure of your own home. Maybe you got some space in your garage or a spare bedroom? But before doing so, make sure you get yourself good quality Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Mats!
When picking out your BJJ mat, you’ll probably see various choices out there. So how do you know which one to get? Just like anything else, not all BJJ mats are created equal. There are different kinds to choose from, some with better durability than others. And some are much more portable than others.
In this guide, we take a look at the Best Brazilian Jiu Jitsu mats and the different options available for you to get you started rolling at your own home! Let’s have a look!
Best Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Mats
Types of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Mats
Before getting started, let’s first take a look at the different categories and types of BJJ Mats available for you. Choosing the type of mat for you might be dependent on your personal taste, space availability, or portability.
These are the probably the most common BJJ Mats you are probably familiar with. These mats typically come in a 2’ x 2’ rubbery foam tile square pieces. They are usually around 20 to 40 mm in thickness and made up of a high-density EVA foam. They’re very impact resistant to protect you from hard falls. The great thing about these mats is that you can interlock them together like you would a jigsaw puzzle. If you are tight on a budget and have the space for them, these are a great option to use as a BJJ mat to train on.
Roll Out Mats
Roll Out Mats have been gaining popularity when it comes to training BJJ at home. They’re great because they’re very portable and easy to use. These mats are typically made up a type of polyethylene foam padding finished with a vinyl covering for easy clean up. They’re made up impact resistant materials and super easy to clean. Plus they’re super portable! If you are looking for a mat that can be stored away, this is a great choice. Or, maybe you want to train with your friends at the park? Simply roll out your mat and get some rolls in!
You probably are familiar with this one. You might have seen folding mats around at the gym. They’re usually used for ab workouts, gymnastics, or yoga. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu folding mats are a little more cushioned than your typical folding mat. These mats are made of smooth nonabrasive materials. They’re also waterproof and odor resistant so its easy to keep clean. These mats are excellent since they’re so portable – simply fold them up and go! But you can certainly leave them laying around if you are looking for something more permanent.
Top 5 Best Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Mats
When it comes to BJJ Mats, you really only have three options to choose from: a jigsaw style, a folding mat, or roll out. It all comes down to personal preference and what you are looking for in a training mat. If you are tight on a budget, you might want to stick with a Jigsaw mat. If you have the space and are willing to shell out some cash, you got your roll out mats. Or maybe you want something portable but not too expensive, you could go with a folding one. Without further ado, here are our top 5 picks for best Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Mats.
IncStore is a leading supplier of flooring, ranging from garage flooring, carpets, to MMA rubber tiles. Their Tatami Foam Tile is your standard when it comes to training mats. This is the type of mat you would typically see in any BJJ gym or other martial arts dojos.
IncStores Tatami Foam Tiles are made up of a Closed Cell EVA Foam, designed to protect even the highest impact fall. They’re available in a Gray/Black or the more traditional Red/Blue.
These mats are the Jigsaw mat variety, so you can easily interlock the pieces together. The tiles overlap about 1” when you interlink them. These Jigsaw Mats are offered in 24” x 24” square pieces and are roughly about 0.8 inches thick.
- TRADITIONAL TEXTURE, MODERN PERFORMANCE: Handcraft the ultimate dojo for today's martial arts. With 7/8" of closed cell EVA foam rubber to offer a firm yet forgiving impact profile, Tatami tiles are ready for anything your journey throws at them.
- FEEL THE DIFFERENCE: With the trustworthy shock absorption EVA foam mat tiles offer, this combat-ready flooring lets men, women, and kids reach their fitness goals in combat sports, martial arts, and more without feeling the hard floor beneath.
- SPAR WITH CONFIDENCE: No indoor workout is too much for our Tatami-top interlocking foam floor tiles. Wrestling, BJJ, MMA, Kickboxing, and Judo are no match for these extra large floor mats, so you can jump, crash, roll, and compete with confidence.
- DESIGN YOUR DREAM DOJO: Explore the limits of your personalized fitness facility with 2'x2' foam floor mats sturdy enough for takedowns, but soft enough to nap on, plus endless room-filling capability and 2 reversible colorways to meet your needs.
- A FOUNDATION OF QUALITY: For more than a decade, IncStores has been outfitting every room around the home with high-quality interlocking floor tiles in countless styles, because a stronger, safer, smarter looking home starts from the floor up.
We Sell Mats is a super well known in the fitness industry providing great quality mats for yoga, martial arts, and gymnastics. When it comes to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Mats, they provide an excellent choice for Jigsaw mats.
These puzzle mats are made of a high-density EVA Foam material, providing superior protection and cushion. They have a nice ribbed texture for added grip to prevent slips during a match.
They’re super easy to install. Not to mention easy to clean! Each of the tiles come with two borders that interlock seamlessly together, giving you that nice clean look. Their mats are lead free, latex free, and phthalate free so they’re also kid friendly!
Each tile is 24” x 24” and about 0.75 inches in thickness. They are offered in ten different colors and can usually be ordered in sets of four.
Z Athletic has been a leading manufacturer of gymnastic mats for over two decades, providing homes and gyms top quality mats. They’re mats are built and designed with gymnasts in mind. With all the falls and impacts they go through day in and day out, you know these mats are built like champs!
These mats have excellent durability, made up of high-density cross-linked polyethylene. They are also covered with a nice vinyl finish – it’s nonporous and super easy to clean.
These mats are offered in 4ft x 8ft and are 2 inches thick. Z Athletic mats are an excellent choice for a BJJ mat. They can really take a beating and they’re super thick and durable. You can even practice your takedowns or Judo throws.
The great thing about these mats is that you can easily connect them to other mats as well to expand your training area. All of the four sides of the mat does have a hook and loop connection, allowing you to connect to other mats!
- |PROFESSIONAL DESIGN| – We’ve been designing and manufacturing gymnastics mats for over 20 years and our products are used in homes and gyms across the country. We know quality!
- |MULITFUNCTION| – These mats are perfect for gymnastics (home, competitive, or commercial use), Pilates, dance, parkour, weight training, general exercise, cheerleading and so much more!
- |EXPANDABLE SIZE| - Hook and Loop connections on all four sides allows for side to side AND end to end connection to other mats for extended gymnastic runs or customized use.
- |DIMENSIONS| – We only sell 2in thick mats for the highest quality and firmest support. 4ft x 8ft x 2in unfolded. 4 panels each 2ft wide, so 4ft x 2ft x 8in folded.
- |DURABLE| – Made of high-density cross-linked polyethylene foam covered in a high quality 18oz vinyl. We meet or exceed industry standards in all categories. Two year warranty.
IncStores Roll Out Wrestling Mat is a great choice for a BJJ mat. They are made up of a polyethylene foam material designed to take high impact shocks. You can easily drill your moves and roll to your hearts content with this one. They can take some punishment.
On top of the cross-link polyethylene foam is a tough 24 oz. Vinyl finish. This waterproof design makes it bacteria resistant and easy to clean up when your done training.
The mat is offered in a variety of colors and sizes. You have 9 colors to choose from. You can get a 4’x 6’ 5x9 or 5x10 and is offered in 1 5/8 thick or 1.25 thick mat.
The best part? Its super portable! When you are done training, you can simply roll it up like a yoga mat and store it away. It’s only a little over 20 pounds so you can lug it around with you easily.
- PRACTICE LIKE A PRO: Hone your skills on a half-size, 1.4" thick wrestling mat made from closed-cell EVA foam rubber and several colors of heavyweight vinyl to maximize convenience, customizability, comfort, and cleanliness at home or on the go.
- READY WHEN YOU ARE: A lightweight profile and several underside relief cuts help our martial arts mats for home stand out when it comes to storage and portability. When it's time for a new spar session, our grappling mat roll can be set up in seconds.
- CRAFTED FOR CLEANER COMBAT: To make sure you and your opponent get into the action hastily and hygienically, our Roll Out wrestling floor mats are topped with a tough 24oz vinyl top layer that makes pre-cleaning fast, easy, and far more effective.
- THE STRONGEST WAY TO SKIRMISH: With supportive closed-cell EVA foam between you and the floor, our extra-thick combat sport mat is ready to take on the learning curve, allowing athletes to focus more on their takedown technique, and their opponent's.
- A FOUNDATION OF QUALITY: For more than a decade, IncStores has been outfitting every room in and around the home with high-quality workout room flooring in countless styles, because a stronger, safer, smarter looking home starts from the floor up.
Dollarmur makes some of the best professional competition mats for wrestling, MMA, and BJJ. They got some high quality standards, designing mats for many competitions around the world.
These same professional mats can also be ordered for your own home as well. The Dollamur 10 x 10 Flexi-Roll Wrestling Mat is a rollout mat split up in two 5’ x 10’ rollout pieces. They’re about 1.25 inches thick. The beauty of it is each of the pieces are only about 20 pounds each so you can take them around with you if you choose. Maybe have a mini tournament in the park with some friends?
The mat is manufactured with the Dollamur Sports Surface FLEXI Roll – super durable, able to withstand repeated pressure and compression. It’s got an athletic grade closed cell, cross linked polyethylene foam padding – these can take a massive beating, they’re built to last.
It’s equipped with a 24 oz Vinyl surface, guaranteed to never crack or peel. You won’t be needing any reconditioning for these bad boys! Plus, it’s a breeze to clean up! The vinyl is treated with antimicrobials to protect against odor and material degradation.
Keep in mind though, these are professional grade mats, so you can expect it to be on the pricier end. If you got the funds for it, this could be a solid investment. The quality you get is simply outstanding!
Getting yourself a nice set of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Mats is an absolute must if you are planning on doing any BJJ Training outside of your gym. It’s just as important as getting a Gi or No Gi shorts or rashguards.
Sure you can simply roll around in your carpet or a patch of grass in your backyard. You’ll probably only come out with a scrape or three. Or maybe a couple cuts and some abrasions on your face! If you want to get train safely, you need the proper training equipment.
Luckily there are plenty of nice quality mats available for you! We’ve highlighted some of the best Brazilian Jiu Jitsu mats on the market to get you started training at home! Train Hard! Roll Safe!