When purchasing yourself your first pair of BJJ No Gi Grappling Shorts, you will easily find that your choices are quite vast. So how do you determine which pair best suits you? Couldn’t you just use some plain old basketball shorts and call it a day? Yes, you absolutely can but it does have its disadvantages and safety risks.
If you plan on training for a while, you want to make sure that you are equipped with the right set of tools to improve your rolls on the mats. You wouldn’t want to play basketball or football with a pair of old running shoes, would you? You can have a serious risk of slipping or twisting your ankle!
The same goes for BJJ. Accidentally putting a finger inside someone’s pocket is all it takes to snap a finger! An external zipper or drawstring can easily cut someone or poke someone in the eye! Without the proper gear, you risk yourself or your training partner getting injured.
In this article, we take a look at some of the best BJJ No Gi Grappling shorts in the market to get you started rolling safely on the mats!
Types of Grappling Shorts
Before jumping straight to it, let’s first define some of the typical grappling shorts that you may run into.
- 1Board Shorts
These are the most common shorts that you may see if you watch any No Gi grappling matches or MMA bouts. They very much resemble your typical board shorts you would see a surfer use. These grappling board shorts are tightened by an internal drawstring lace that can be tied and tucked away inside your shorts. The shorts also come with a Velcro waist strap for an added security and snugness. They usually are made to fit right above your knees with slits along the side for added flexibility during your matches.
- 2Vale Tudo Shorts
Named after the earliest style of mixed martial arts in Brazil, Vale Tudo shorts are fully elastic shorts for maximum flexibility. These grappling shorts mostly resemble compression underwear. These shorts are skin tight and conforms to your body’s contour. So yes – you will see just about everything down there! Be sure to wear a cup for added protection – and dignity! You would see Anderson Silva and Connor Mc Gregor rocking these in their professional careers.
- 3Hybrid Shorts
These are a newer style of MMA/BJJ grappling shorts that has the combined elastic flexibility you would get from a Vale Tudo, while keeping the type of fabric, look, and fastenings of a regular board short. These hybrids are much more expensive than your typical board shorts, but the quality and feel you get out of it is incomparable. If you have the budget for it, this is certainly a good buy!
Best BJJ Grappling Shorts
With BJJ No Gi Grappling shorts, you can easily feel the difference right away compared to other shorts. They’re designed to stay on if you buy the correct fit. Board shorts run at a standard size you would normally get while the Vale Tudo or Hybrid shorts run a little smaller. So if you do get the elastic shorts, be sure to get a size bigger than your normal size.
Another thing to consider when purchasing your first pair of shorts is the quality. Just like everything else – not all things are created equal and the same goes for your grappling shorts. Things you should consider are the types of material used, flexibility, and durability. These shorts take a beating during your grappling sessions, so make sure you pick one that lasts!
Anthem Athletics is known to make excellent athletic gear for combat sports and fitness to include MMA, BJJ, Kickboxing, and CrossFit. Their Resilience MMA Shorts has a great tear-resistant, fast drying fabric, designed to take a beating.
It is equipped with an aggressive side slits and a 4-way stretch in the crotch to allow for an added flexibility and movement. It has an excellent design and logo, made so that it will never crack or peel from overuse!
With over 30 designs, and excellent reviews, you can’t go wrong with these grappling board shorts!
- Tear-resistant, fast-drying fabric with advanced, sublimation printing for logos and graphics - will never crack or peel
- Two-fold velcro waistband with drawstring - non-chaff front
- Aggressive side slits and 4-way stretch crotch for optimal movement
- Shorts optimized for BJJ, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, MMA, Muay Thai, WOD, Krav Maga, Pankration
- SIZING NOTE: These shorts are designed to fit closer to your true measurement. This may be slightly different than your typical pant size. To ensure a proper fit, please measure the circumference of your waist. If in between sizes please order a size up (for example, a 37" waist should order a 38").
The RDX MMA Fight Shorts are excellent for grappling. They feature an improved Velcro closure strap system and an internal waistband interlocking drawstring for a customized fit. It also has a gel panel in the waistband for additional grip and comfort during your matches.
These boardshorts are made up of high-quality fabric with anti-microbial and anti-odor properties to prevent for staph infections, ringworm, and stinky shorts!
These were designed with supreme durability and functionality, with T3 stitching for high strength and resilience. They come in only three colors: blue, green, and yellow. However they do have various sizes, ranging from a 28” waistline all the way to a 39” – these are excellent shorts even for the bigger guys!
- The RDX MMA Shorts have strong Grip Waistband for an Accurate Fit
- Ergonomically-designed with athletic cuts for free mobility
- Quality fabric that resists splits, tears and cracks
- Exclusive T3 stitching for higher strength and improved resilience
- Made with supreme durability, functionality and complete breathability
Hayabusa is known for equipment and apparel that pushes protection and performance to the limit. They have a leading reputation in fight gear, making their products one of the more desired products in the market. Their Metaru Charged Fight shorts come with an advanced performance fit, hardware-free waist band. It features stretch panels to allow for maximum mobility and comfort during a grappling session.
These board shorts do come in 5 different color variations in accordance to the BJJ belt levels: white, blue, purple, brown, and black. The shorts do come a bit snug (which is what you want) but it is recommended to get a size bigger than your regular jean size. If you wear 32” in your Levi’s, go get yourself a 33” or 34”!
Hayabusa’s shorts come with a PolyDirectionalTM stretch fabric along with a reinforced T3 stitching, so you know it will last the test of time without rips and tears. Hayabusa is a market-leader for fight gear for a reason, you are sure to get your money’s worth with these bad boys!
Venum is one of the leading suppliers of MMA and BJJ gear. They produce top-tier quality products when it comes to their BJJ apparel – their Camo Fight Shorts are a perfect example!
Venum’s Camo Fight Shorts makes an excellent BJJ No Gi Grappling shorts. With its reinforced machine-stitched seams and 3-way Vault closure, you are sure your fight shorts will stay in place while allowing you a full range of motion during your training sessions.
It is equipped with excellent micro-fiber fabric and mesh panels with fast-drying properties – this allows you to deliver better moisture management, allowing for sweat escape and advanced breathability.
A bit on the pricey side, but the quality and overall look and feel you get out of it is just great! With its eye appealing and aesthetic camouflage design, these board shorts are the whole package: quality, comfort, and style! If you have the budget for it, it’s certainly worth the buy.
- Ultra-lightweight and anatomical design: upgrades your speed and Velocity
- Hard-wearing polyester fabric Assembled with reinforced seams: built for intense ground workout
- Moisture management properties fabric: facilitates the sweat escape keeping you focus on your techniques
If you follow MMA pretty closely or practice yourselves, its likely you have come across Clinch Gear products. Their MMA Premium Shorts are at a class of its own. It features a SuperStretch, 360 degree side flex and moisture-wick properties. These things are like sweat repellents!
The best part of these board shorts are that they are made with the same type of material used for Special Ops, so you know it can take a beating and last you a while!
The comfort and feel to it is absolutely great. Made up of suede microfiber, these shorts have such a lightweight feel to it, that it seems like you are barely wearing anything at all! These are a fan-favorite item for sure in your MMA and Jiu Jitsu needs.
- MMA FIGHT SHORTS - Maximum Stretch & Performance The #1 choice for elite-level MMA fighters and Cross-Trainers. Featuring SuperStretch, 360 degree side flex panels, and moisture-wicking properties - regardless of how much you sweat, the shorts never seem to fully absorb moisture. Truly the best fabric available if you're serious about your training gear.
- PERFORMANCE SHORTS - Our Pro Series MMA shorts feature custom suede microfiber fabric that feels almost like you’re wearing nothing at all! You will not believe how soft, yet insanely durable they are. Truly the best WOD shorts money can buy.
- - If there's one thing that Clinch Gear has absolutely perfected, it's our suede microfiber fabric. The material is a phenomenal balance of comfort and weight. It's hard to argue that a more lightweight fabric exists in the high-end, performance shorts market, and the feel is very soft and smooth as you'd expect from microfiber.
- INSANE DURABILITY – Constructed of the very same materials used by Special Operations Forces, the Pro Series shorts were designed to take a series beating and hold up for years to come. These are designed specifically for combat sports and high-level cross-training.
- LOCKED-DOWN SECURITY – Never worry about your shorts falling off or coming loose again! This newly improved version of our Pro Series fight shorts features a patent-pending DoubleGrip waistband with a thick but comfortable hook-and-loop closure.
Elite is a little bit on the newer side when it comes to fight gear but they have been producing good quality products so far! If you are on a strict budget, these shorts are for you. They are very affordable and yet doesn’t sacrifice quality.
With a two-fold, non-chaffing, Velcro closure and internal drawstring fasteners, these shorts are sure to stay on even in the heat of battle. It also features a tear-resistant microfiber fabric, so you can push yourself without the risk of tearing up your shorts!
Although primarily built for BJJ, these are quite versatile so you could use it in MMA, Crossfit, or kickboxing if you choose. Another excellent feature is that it has a lightweight material that disperses sweat fast, disallowing bacteria build up and nasty staph infections!
It has a fairly basic design, plain black with the signature Elite Logo on the bottom left, as well as on the Velcro belt. The Velcro belt has 8 color options to choose from depending on your BJJ belt level. If you are looking for BJJ shorts to roll with that has a very simplistic design these are the shorts for you – and it won’t even break your bank account!
- ✅ MATERIAL – The Elite Sports Black Jack MMA shorts also can be worn as No-Gi, MMA, BJJ, UFC fight shorts and other martial arts that you like. These BJJ shorts are made from lightweight high-quality microfiber fabric that will increase your range of motion and your performance by keeping you comfortable.
- ✅ COMFORT – Elite Sports UFC fight shorts are lightweight and the ultra-soft microfiber fabric that does not resisted you at all, instead it lets you move freely. Comfortable fitting and elastic fit waistband are combined to give you the perfect fit and the fabric of our men’s MMA shorts is durable so there is nothing to worry about.
- ✅ PUSH YOUR LIMITS - The tear-resistant microfiber fabric or these UFC shorts allows you to push your limits keeping you comfortable and free. Our grappling shorts are versatile and can be worn to train, spar, or competitions. These boxing, UFC, MMA, Jiu Jitsu, BJJ No GI shorts are perfect for different martial arts.
- ✅ SECURE and DURABLE- The Black Jack MMA fight shorts have two-fold, non-chaffing waistband with Velcro closure which is paired up with a drawstring that will keep these Jiu Jitsu shorts in place during intense training and fights. Now you can move freely with worrying about your MMA shorts falling during the match or sparring.
- ✅ SIDE SLITS – The side slits stretch of these Jiu Jitsu shorts is so that you can move quickly with improved leg work. As there is no resistance and hindrance your movement hence your range of motion and flexibility increase. As a result of this your performance and focus on the game improves.
RVCA is not known for its flashy designs, and the same goes for their Men’s Grappling Shorts. They have a simplistic look, plain black with the RVCA logo along the side and on the front. These are hybrid-type grappling shorts – so they do not come cheap!
The shorts are cut above the knee, and fits snugly along your legs, but not too snug that it’s overly revealing like a Vale Tudo compression shorts.
These shorts have great elasticity as a hybrid pair of grappling shorts, and it provides you great moisture wicking and breathability during training. It’s Velcro fly and waist-tightening provides you a comfortable and secure fit.
These have to be one of the most modern and comfortable shorts in the market. It has such a clean aesthetic look to it, you could even wear it out at the town! If you have the budget for it, and don’t want an overly complicated design, these shorts are a great buy for you.
- Medium-rise straight jean with slightly tapered leg featuring five-pocket styling
- Recycled quick dry fabric
- Elastic waistband
- Interior draw cord closure
- Velcro tab front closure
Getting yourself the proper pair of BJJ No Gi Grappling shorts can be a little overwhelming seeing how many choices you have out there. But it is extremely important to get yourself a pair to maximize your training sessions.
Sure, you can stick with a regular pair of shorts, but as you train more frequently, you will easily see its shortcomings. It can easily get drenched in sweat or get pulled down during a match – not to mention the safety risks!
After you get yourself a pair of grappling shorts, you’ll immediately feel the difference. The comfort, quality, and feel you get out of them are incomparable. It’s nothing like getting the right tool for the job!
We have highlighted 7 of best BJJ No Gi Grappling shorts in the market to get you started rolling safely on the mats! Thanks for reading! Train Hard, Roll Safe!