If you’re new to BJJ, you’ve probably seen some of your more experienced teammates using a foam roller before class. Rolling around and warming up before BJJ class.
As a beginner in BJJ, you may be curious about getting one, but have questions before you purchase one. What is a foam roller for, what is the best one for a beginner? Foam rollers are excellent tools to add to your training equipment, it keeps you loose and ready for heavy training sessions.
In this guide, we take a look at some of the best ones in the market. We review some of the Best foam rollers for beginners in BJJ to get you started rolling safely on the mat!
What Is A Foam Roller For?
A foam roller is a lightweight cylindrical tube made of foam and it is used for myofascial release. The foam roller can help reduce soreness muscles knots. It’s great for stretching and increasing flexibility.
In BJJ you really put some high impact stresses on your body. These stresses build up over time and heavily impacts your body. Having a good foam roller allows you to really loosen up the tightness on your muscles to get ready for a heavy training session.
There are a variety of different foam rollers that come in different sizes, ridges, and degrees of firmness. For best use of a foam roller stay in each position for 30-90 and mix in static stretching.
Best Foam Roller For Beginners in BJJ
The Mr. Fit High Density Foam Roller is one of the highest rated foam roller our there. This product is used for physical therapy and massage therapy. It’s made of the same type of material professional therapists use. Don’t be surprised if you see a Mr. Fit foam roller at a massage therapy studio or a physical therapy center.
There are 15 different options you can choose from. They are basic, smooth, firm foam rollers ranging from 12in, 18in, 24in, and 36in.
Mr. Fit also sells these in bundles that come with massage balls and a roller stick. These products are also great for self myofascial release, but if you just want a roller this option is available.
If you are a beginner in BJJ, the TriggerPoint has got you covered with their grid foam roller. Their original 13in design has a multi density exterior over a rigid hollow core.
This foam roller has a 500lb weight limit and has a 1 year manufacturers warranty in case it breaks. This thing is powerful so it’s unlikely to break but the added warranty is certainly a nice touch.
As an added feature, TriggerPoint Grid Foam Roller added online instructional videos with your purchase. This makes it a great option for beginners in BJJ. They are shown the best ways to use the roller by experts.
The TriggerPoint Grid Foam Roller comes in 5 color options and is rated as one of the best sellers in the market.
- Patented foam roller design offers a superior, multi-density exterior constructed over a rigid, hollow core
- Constructed from quality materials that won't break down or lose shape from repeated use
- Includes access to free online instructional video library on foam rolling best practices from the experts at TriggerPoint
- Trusted foam roller of physical and massage therapists, coaches, trainers and athletes
- Original GRID: Standard density, 13 x 5.5 inches, 500 pound weight limit; 1 year manufacturer's warranty
If you are looking for a simple yet high quality foam rollers for beginners in BJJ – don’t look any further! AmazonBasics is one of the top leading brands for a simplistic look and feel. It has a high-density foam, perfect for loosening up those tight knots.
With this foam roller, you get a nice simple color pattern without any ridges. This is as basic and simple as you can get with a foam roller – perfect for any beginner looking to get started.
Like with most foam rollers it comes in 4 sizes(12in, 18in, 24in, and 36in.) and 7 color patterns.
- High-density foam roller with molded edges
- Ideal for balance, strengthening, flexibility, and rehab exercises
- Made from molded polypropylene to maintain firmness
- Lightweight, easy to clean and transport
- Measures approximately 18 x 6 x 6 inches (LxWxH)
The Original Body Roller has been around for some time and is a top choice for all fitness levels. It’s got a 3D texture that is 13x5.5 inches with triple layer massages zones that replicates hands.
This foam roller is advertised as being the next best thing to getting a massage. Also great to use before or after a hard training session. This bad boy can really loosen you right up before an intense sparring session!
Since the Original Body Roller is travel sized, you can bring it to BJJ class with you. You can use it before a BJJ class to warm up your muscles or help cool them down after class.
This one’s a great option for advanced practitioners and beginners alike - tough enough for pro athletes and comfortable enough for beginners. It’s got 6 color options to choose from
- 3D textured rollers measure 13 x 5.5 inches with triple massage zones to replicate the fingers , thumbs , and palms of the human hand.
- Roll before and after your work out at the gym , Pilates , or yoga to condition and stretch muscle tissue , and remove painful trigger points . Dual grid design has finger zone with ridges , and spiked bumps on the opposite side .
- Great for runners , after a long workout , or as part of your stretching routine . Heavy Duty EPP construction tough enough for athletes , and still comfortable enough for a beginner .
- Choose from lightweight and portable full size model or our mini travel model to get physical therapy grade massages , deep stretches , and acupressure relief all in the privacy of your own home .
- Speed up recovery , treat muscle pain , increase performance , flexibility , and mobility . One of the best fitness tools to help your body recover , rolling before and after exercise is critical for beginners and pros alike .
If you’re new to BJJ and are prone to having back problems, then you should really take a look at this one. The 321 Strong Foam Roller is a high-density deep tissue massager that was designed with a spinal channel.
This product promises a much better iteration than your traditional foam rollers. With the especially tight muscles, your regular foam rollers may not suffice. This product can deeply penetrate those tight areas and relieve the pain in your body.
It’s got some high density ridges that feel like a deep tissue massage. The 321 Strong Foam Roller comes in 5 different color options and comes with a 2 to 3 year protection plan.
- 12.75 inches x 5.25 inch diameter , lightweight yet rugged solid core EVA massage roller with triple grid 3D massage zones mimics the finger , palm , and thumb of a therapist's hands . Travel friendly at just 1 lb. .
- Medium density muscle roller is comfortable to use - making it easy for beginners , but still effective at penetrating the soft tissue layer of tired muscles . Soft enough to use while in pain from lower back injury , sciatica or plantar fasciitis .
- One of the best recovery tools to treat muscle pain , increase performance and flexibility. Rolling before and after exercise sis part of a great stretching routine . Increases blood flow to massage site , flushing away stored lactic acid .
- Stretch overworked and strained muscles of the leg , arms , and feet by rolling during your warm up and cool downs . Provides instant benefit to the hamstring , IT band , gluts , and calves by delivering superior massages at home or in the gym .
- Loved by runners , Cross fit athletes , yoga and Pilates students , swimmers , physical or sports therapy patients , and those just doing a normal fitness workout . Great for the arch of the foot , and any part of the body but the spine or neck .
The Gimme 10 Foam Roller is both comfortable and sturdy – it get’s the job done! This foam roller is made of EVA foam – the same type of material you typically see your Gi’s made out of. This foam roller is simple but super effective.
If you need the feeling of a deep tissue massage and myofascial release this trusted foam roller will do the job!
Check it out below if you’re in the market for a reliable foam roller.
- Package Contents: One (1) Roller - 13 inches x 5.25 inch diameter , A heavy duty ABS hollow core muscle roller with triple grid massage zones to mimic a physical therapists finger , palm , and thumb
- High performance , eco friendly , medium density EVA foam massage roller soothes the back , leg , quad , hamstring , it band , foot , fascia , calves , hip , shoulder , fingers , forearm , reduces scar tissue and cellulite
- Perfect for runners , yoga , pilates , dance , athletes , before running to stretch , after workout recovery to get relief from sciatica , plantar fasciitis , strained lower back and neck , calf , legs , feet , upper arm , etc.
- Foam rollers make great accessories for the gym , roll your body and sore muscles after exercise just like sports therapy , fitness , and thoracic chiropractic professionals
- Stop searching for tools and equipment , this is the ultimate back roller massager for proper stretching , back pain , balance training , apply firm therapeutic pressure while rolling hard muscles with this classic tool
Fitness Kings offers something they call “The Ultimate Foam Roller Set.” For the price it is probably the best bundle you can get.
This bundle comes with an 18inch foam roller, massage ball, spiked massage ball, massage stick, yoga stretching strap, and bag. With this bundle you’ll be able to work out sore muscles before and after training.
Definitely take a look at this bundle set from Fitness Kings to immediately release all of your muscle aches from training – this set got all kinds of goodies that can really loosen you up good!
- ✅ THE ULTIMATE FOAM ROLLER SET – The only foam roller set that includes an 18” high density, extra firm expanded polypropylene (EPP) foam roller, a 18 inch massage stick, a yoga stretching strap, a deep tissue massage ball, a spike massage ball, travel bag, workout guides, and access to video workouts on the market. The complete all in one set for serious athletes, yoga enthusiasts and massage therapists.
- ✅ PREVENT MUSCLE INJURY – Perfect for positioning, balance, postural and muscle re-education, spinal stabilization, body awareness and coordination, and strengthening activities. This set is great for physical therapy, massage therapy, rehabilitation, before and after workout warm ups and warm downs, and yoga. Foam muscle rollers help to relieve muscles tension and increase muscle reflexology.
- ✅ PROVEN TO INCREASE PERFORMANCE – One of the best recovery tools to treat muscle pain and increase performance and flexibility. Rolling before and after workouts is part of a great stretching routine . Increases blood flow to the massage site, and flush away stored lactic acid with the included spike ball. Reduce stiffness and pain before and after workouts, exercise, running and training with the deep tissue massage extra firm ball.
- ✅ PERFECT FOR TRAVEL- The Ultimate Foam Roller set is great for anyone one the go. Simply throw the set in your luggage and use it anytime, anywhere.
- ✅ LIFETIME 100% MONEY BACK QUALITY WARRANTY- The Fitness Kings Ultimate Foam Roller Set is one of the strongest, highest quality foam roller sets on the market. Our foam rollers don’t lose their shape after heavy use. If any part of your set ever breaks we will replace it for free. No questions asked. We strive to provide our customers with only the best, highest quality fitness products.
Investing in a foam roller is a great idea whether you are new to BJJ or an experienced grappler. Sooner or later, you’re going to experience muscle pain or back pain. Those aches and pains won’t go anywhere anytime soon. You need to get the proper training equipment to get your body back to recovery mode.
This reason alone should be enough for you to invest in a solid foam roller to add to your training equipment. They do everything from warming up your muscles, releasing tension, and increase your overall flexibility.