Let’s face it, purchasing a Gi can be pretty stressful! There’s a ton of them out there, not to mention the price range! They can get pretty expensive!
Maybe you are a complete beginner that has never tried Jiu Jitsu. Maybe you have just seen it on YouTube or saw your buddies doing it, and thought you’d give it a shot.
Or, maybe you have tried it before, rolling around in your friend’s garage, or tried a few no-gi classes. Now you have decided to maybe try your hand at a Gi class.
Problem is, there are countless of them out there! Plus they range from about 50 to 300 dollars for the Gi. If you are a beginner that has recently taken interest in Jiu Jitsu, that is awesome! It’s a great sport! However, we don’t recommend spending hundreds of dollars right off the bat.
You shouldn’t spend more than $100 for your first gi, especially if you are first trying it out. Although the more expensive Gis typically are much sturdier and last longer, this isn’t always the case! Truth is there are quite a few of them out there within your budget that could last you for a while. In this article, we would like highlight 3 of the best Jiu Jitsu Gi for beginners under $100.
Best Jiu Jitsu Gi for Under 100
Choosing the Size
Before you purchase your Gi, it is essential to first understand the sizing. When first looking at BJJ “A-Size” chart can be a bit confusing at first. However, we did breakdown the sizing a bit using Venum's size chart as an example below:
Generally speaking, following the size chart should be good in choosing the right size Gi for you. But please keep in mind that each Gi manufacturer may have slight differences in sizes, so make sure to verify before buying!
Choosing your Gi is mostly based off your height, weight, and wingspan. The waist for the pants is not as significant as the pants have the waist band cord to tighten it up against your waist line.
One other thing to consider as well is your current weight. If this is your first time doing Jiu Jistu, it is highly likely that you will shed some pounds! This is a pretty strenuous sport; you will sweat A LOT so be prepared to lose some weight.
With that being said, try to choose a size that will not be extremely loose if you do shed those pounds afterwards. You don’t want to spend $100 and end up with a very baggy gi! Just to give you an idea, here’s how a Gi is supposed to fit:
Choosing the Color
There are a multiple of choices in terms of color out there. However, the more traditional colors are white and blue Gi’s. You can also wear black Gi’s as well but some schools only allow this color at a higher belt level.
If you plan on competing in a tournament like the International Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Federation (IBJJF), these are three approved colors for that.
Some other competitions do allow any type of solid color gi. But don’t try to mix and match! Don’t try to wear a white gi top with blue pants.
If you plan on just using the Gi for training purposes only, the color doesn’t matter as much. Definitely ask your instructor before you make your purchase to make sure you aren’t violating any of the rules! You don’t want to come in one day in an orange or neon-green gi and he tells you to leave!
Choosing the Weave
Probably the main difference for a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Kimono, compared to other martial arts like Taekwondo or Karate is the material of the Gi.
A typical Karate Gi is usually made up of a thin, light-weight cotton polyester type material while a Jiu Jitsu Gi is much thicker and sturdier. BJJ usually requires a lot of pulling and tugging on the Gi material. The thicker weaves in the material allows for this type of abuse and a much longer longevity!
It is important to know the basics on the types of weaves before you go ahead and make a purchase.
- Single Weave Cotton – these types of Gi’s are known for its light weight. They are great for beginners who are just starting out and very cost effective. Since they are so light weight, they are great for training during those hot summer days, since they are lightly woven and can breathe much better. Although they are less expensive, these generally don’t last as long as their counterparts.
- Double Weave Cotton– These are much sturdier than the single weaves. They double the density and durability of the singles but they are extremely rough on the skin. The great thing about them is that they are much harder to grab – this gives you a competitive advantage! Downside is that it is very stiff, heavy, and retains more heat.
- Gold Weave Cotton – Sort of the combination of the two weaves, the gold weave is the best of both worlds! It has a lighter feel compared to the double and much sturdier than the single. These are excellent competition-grade gi. If you are serious about Jiu Jitsu, these would be a great investment in the long run!
There are a few other types of weaves out there like the pearl weave, ripstop, cotton drill, platinum weave, and other custom weaves. For now, as a starter gi, the three types of weaves should be sufficient to pick the best Jiu Jitsu gi that fits your criteria.
Fuji All Around BJJ Kimono
When it comes to a starter BJJ Gi that is both affordable and has great quality, you couldn’t go wrong with the Fuji All Around Gi. As a bestselling and award winning gi, it is recognized as one of the most trusted gi in the market.
It is a single weave gi made of 100% Fuji Premium Cotton Blend and IBJJF certified. It has a mid-weight, roughly 3 lbs, so it is not too light, but not too heavy either. But it can get hot in the summer months!
The design is plain and simplistic. If you are looking for a lot of patches and designs in your gi, this is not the gi for you! Fuji isn’t known for having a whole lot of designs in their gi. This is a good old-fashioned bjj kimono; they do include some extra patches if you really want to have those sewn on!
The pants fit pretty good, not too baggy, not too snug, and has a decent lightweight feel to it. The downside is that there are only two belt loops. On the upside, the pants drawstring is flat and those tend to stay tied over the round ones better.
Overall, the Fuji All Around Gi is an excellent starter Gi. It may be a little bit pricier in comparison to other starter gi, but the quality to price ratio is phenomenal. If you don’t mind spending a little more for a quality starter gi, this might be the winner!
- BJJ Gi: FUJI BJJ Gi (kimono) is the best-selling and most trusted Fuji Gi (kimono) in the world. The FUJI All-around is an award-winning Jiu Jitsu Gi (kimono), recognized by many industry publications!
- Jiu-Jitsu Uniform: Mid-weight with stiff, thick collar and multi-layered reinforcement across all stress points, designed for fit, durability, and comfort
- Cotton Blend Kimono: The pants of the BJJ Kimono are a premium cotton blend twill pants with a cotton drawstring
- BJJ Gear: Our BJJ Gi is tested and approved by world-renowned organizations; such as Ribeiro, Team Renzo Gracie, Rilion Gracie, Roger Gracie, Brazilian Top Team and thousands of others
- Jiu-Jitsu Kimono: 100% IBJJF certified. FUJI: Designed to achieved excellence!
Elite Sports Ultra Light Jiu Jitsu Gi
For an extremely affordable and good performing gi, the Elite Sports Ultra Light Jiu Jitsu Gi does its job. As one of the most reviewed Gi’s in Amazon, this is an excellent choice for a starter gi. It also comes with a white belt so that is a definite plus!
Made up of a pearl weave top and ripstop pants, the gi is built to handle a good amount of beating. It has contrasting and reinforced stitching for an added durability and strength. The gi is made of preshrunk fabric so there will be very minimal shrinking from wash.
Another excellent feature is the lightweight material disperses sweat faster and is treated against any buildup of bacterial infections!
The design looks clean, with an eagle type emblem sewn on the shoulder pads and on the side of the pants! Elite's Ultra Light Gi uniform is comfortable, lightweight, and conforms to the body real nice. The downside for this would have to be the pants. It is a bit larger with a thick round draw string that comes loose frequently. Typically, round drawstrings do come loose a little more than the flat ones.
Another downside would be the sizes are a bit difficult to work with if you are tall and lanky. You might find an A2 fits your body snugly, but the sleeves are short but an A3 has a nice sleeve length but fits your body loosely.
For the price of this gi, it is a bit surprising to see what you get out of it. You might not get the best quality gi compared to other starter gi’s, but for this price, it might be worth a shot! If you are simply looking to try out a good starter gi or add an affordable gi to your rotation, this might be the one for you!
- SIZE CHART: The Elite Sports brazilian jiu jitsu gi comes in 10 sizes, check out our SIMPLE SIZE CHART FOR EXACT FIT given in product images.
- NO SHRINKING – Elite Sports Jiu-Jitsu GI is made from pre-shrunk fabric you’ll never have to worry about your lightweight BJJ GIs shrinking. Just wash this lightweight BJJ GI for men in cold water and hang to dry. The pre-shrunk fabric of our BJJ kimono is strong and durable.
- IBJJF APPROVED – This IBJJF GI is approved from International BJJ Federation, so you can wear our BJJ Jiu-Jitsu GI in competitions and tournaments held by IBJJF. Various sizes and colors are available for both men and women from ages 18 to up 55 years. This Jiu Jitsu GI has a stylish and elegant design.
- FREE WHITE BELT w/ STRIPE BAR – Our lightweight men’s BJJ kimono is complemented with a free white belt for beginners which is made of the same cotton as the GI. The free while belt also has a stripe bar that will allow you to earn your stripes and show them with pride displaying your progress as you climb up the levels.
- REDUCE THE RISK OF BAD SMELL – Lightweight material in our Jiujitsu GI disperses sweat faster, means no lingering bad smells ruining your GI. So, you won’t have to experience rancid odors distracting you from training or competing. Just wash the BJJ Kimono after your training session and wear clean your BJJ Jiujitsu GIs every next day.
Sanabul Essentials v2 Light Jiu Jitsu Gi
Easily one of the best options in the market if you are looking for a stylish, comfortable, and affordable gi. Sanabul Essentials v2 Ultra Light Jiu Jitsu Gi is just that! It even comes with a belt!
Made up of ultra-lightweight (2.8lbs) single weave preshrunk fabric, Sanabul’s gi is one of the best starter gi’s in the market. With a clean, tapered athletic cut and custom sizing, it fits the body nicely. However, they do come in a little smaller, so you may want to get a size up to be on the safe side! (You can always wash and dry it to shrink it if necessary)
It has a stiff rubberized collar for a more durable feel. The lightness of the gi makes it an excellent choice for training in those hot summer months! It also has an antimicrobial anti-odor treatment, preventing bacterial infections.
It has fairly clean simplistic design, with a traditional BJJ look. It has a trademark logo on the top left on the gi top and another on the upper right thigh on the pants. Definitely a nice one if you don’t want to have patches and logos all over the place!
A drawback though is that the logo does fray up a bit after several washes so don’t expect the highest quality on that front. Probably the biggest shortcoming for this particular gi is that it is not IBJJF certified, meaning you cannot use it during competition.
Overall, for the price and quality of the material, Sanabul is probably one of the best in the market. It is a bit disappointing that you can’t use it to compete, but if you are simply needing a training gi or if you are just starting off, this is still one of the best out there!
- The Perfect Fit: We take the guesswork out of sizing. Our preshrunk gi can be thrown in a cold water wash and hang dried, without having to worry about shrinkage. Check the Sanabul sizing chart in the images to find yours. Still need to shrink it? No problem, you can wash this gi in hot water and machine dry it to bring it down a size
- Just What You Need: A Jiu Jitsu gi created to go on the journey with you. We designed The Essential series to stand up to extended use, and we sell it at a fair price. Tested by Pros, Created for You: Some of the top competitors in the world rep Sanabul, like Bellator fighter and BJJ black belt Guilherme Bomba and legendary Jiu Jitsu coach, John Danaher. They put our designs through the ringer, so you can trust what you’re wearing has the same grit as you
- Fit Right In: Sanabul Essentials sports a classic, uncluttered style that you can wear confidently on your first day or when upgrading to a cleaner look
- Lightweight, Heavy Duty: Lightweight gi are ideal for hot summer months, or keeping you light and agile in competition. But we also make ours tough. Stiff, rubberized collars, tapered sleeves, and dense single weave design means you won’t sacrifice firmness for speed
- Stays Dryer and Cleaner: This bjj gi fabric is specially treated, so it stays dryer and cleaner during those marathon gym sessions. For a limited time you can get a FREE SANABUL BJJ BELT (ANY COLOR BELT!!!) with your purchase. In order to get the free belt, you MUST SELECT THE BELT SIZE AND COLOR FROM THE BELT LISTING AND ADD IT TO YOUR CART.
Wrapping Things Up
Picking the best Jiu Jitsu Gi can be a little overwhelming given the amount of choices out there, but it doesn’t have to be!
If you are beginner just starting out, we don’t recommend buying the top of the line gi in the market. You might be interested and passionate now, but who knows if that fire is still burning strong a few months from now?
You don’t have to break your bank account to get a good quality gi! There’s plenty of them out there at an affordable price. We have highlighted 3 of the Best Jiu Jitsu Gi for beginners for under 100. We hope you are able to narrow down which gi fits you best.
One last tip for your gi is to only machine wash cold and hang dry! Do NOT put it in the dryer – they will shrink!
If you are still unsure if you are going to try BJJ and want to research more, take a look at BJJ For Beginners! Lots of great info there!
Otherwise, links are below for more info 🙂
Full Disclaimer: Jits Tycoon receives affiliate credit from Amazon for these items (at no cost to you!)
We do our best to highlight all the pros and cons for each item here. Thank you for reading, hope you enjoy your new gi! Train hard! Roll Safe!