With the popularity in MMA and BJJ rising, the equipment for the training has gotten exponentially better in recent years. This is especially so with grappling dummy.
It’s a pretty well known fact that you have to practice thousands of times to really get good at BJJ – or anything else for that matter. Repetition is the mother of skill after all. This is especially so in a grappling sport like BJJ. If you want to improve you game, you need to be consistently practicing and drilling your moves. And that’s where the grappling dummy comes in!
In this guide, we take a look at some of the best Jiu Jitsu and MMA Training Grappling Dummy available in today’s market!
What is Grappling Dummy?
For those that are new to training BJJ and MMA may be wondering what is a grappling dummy? A grappling dummy is a person sized doll that is used for solo drilling in MMA and BJJ.
Sometimes you might not have a training partner to drill your moves with. There are times you can’t make it to class so your stuck training solo!
When you don’t have a training partner available to practice with, the next best thing is a grappling dummy. Depending on the type of training you do, there is a training dummy built for the task.
Things to look for in a grappling dummy
Types of Grappling Dummies
A BJJ dummy is made for working techniques strictly on the ground. You can generally work with this dummy in every position on the ground in mount, guard, and side control. They also have flexible limbs to practice submissions.
The drills you can do with a BJJ grappling dummy include:
A throwing dummy is used for judo throws and wrestling takedown. They are a bit heavier and durable than grappling dummies. They’re built and designed to be slammed on the mat repeatedly. This one is built to take on a beating!
Throwing dummies usually don’t have legs and have a heavy base to mimic the weight of a person. You can use these for drills or conditioning.
An MMA dummy is a mix of both a BJJ dummy and a throwing dummy. You can do BJJ drills, throw them around, or ground and pound them. If you do MMA training, then it would be a good idea to invest in a MMA dummy for solo training.
Filled or Unfilled
Grappling dummies also come filled or unfilled. This is mostly for those that don’t want to pay the extra cost in shipping.
Filled dummies are also a better quality. The material is usually more durable and the filling is probably better than what you’d use for an unfilled dummy.
Size and Shape Differences
Grappling dummies also come in different shapes and sizes. Different sizes are available for kids and adults to mimic people closer to their size.
The shapes of each dummy are different depending on what type of training you want to do, They come with handles, limbs, or limbs with hands. Limbs with hands are the most expensive type.
Top 5 Best MMA and BJJ Grappling Dummies
This is one of the best grappling dummies you can buy on the market. Combat sports allows delivers quality products and their MMA/grappling dummy is no different.
The combat sports grappling dummy is made with military grade vinyl that can take a beating. It can be used for all types of combat sport training from MMA, BJJ, wrestling, and Judo.
It comes complete with arms and legs(no hands) for realistic grappling. You could do submission drills, takedowns, or beat on it.
The dummy comes in four sizes: 70lbs(5’4), 90lbs(5’6), 120lbs(5’10), and 140lbs(5’10).
This is easily one of the best grappling dummy on the market for adult grapplers. You will be getting a ton of use out of them. And they’re not overly expensive either!
- Full out training sessions without the risk of injuring your training partner
- Perfect your takedowns-- throws-- submissions and strikes
- Nylon construction
- Dummy weighs approximately 70 lbs. and stands 5' 4" tall
CBS’s second edition dummy is definitely a big improvement on their first edition. It is made with a durable canvas material and some quality stitching. There are also reinforced shoulder straps added to easily move the dummy around without so much lifting it up every time.
It doesn’t have the size options the Combat Sports dummy, but it is much better in other areas. This dummy flexible wrists and ankles to mimic real hands and feet. The limbs feel like you’re actually applying submissions to real arms and legs.
Best part is – the CBC Grappling Dummy is under 200 bucks! Great price for the quality CBC is giving.
- This model has hands and feet ideal to drill various leg locks, ankle locks, heel hooks, toe holds, wrist locks, and much more.
- Tough canvas material, top quality stitching, easy maintenance.
- Double reinforced shoulder straps for added durability.
- Added zipper opening in the legs, to ease to filling process.
- Filling material recommendation: shredded cotton works best, but any soft fabric such as old shirts, towels, packing material, etc will do!
This grappling dummy is made mostly for MMA training. It doesn’t have limbs, but has 9 different handles to practice various types of throws and takedowns.
It is made with a durable polyester coated vinyl with padding on both sides for throwing strikes. The measurements of the Ring to Cage MMA dummy is around 3ft tall and 2ft wide, and weighs about 60lbs.
This certainly isn’t the most creative looking grappling dummy – it’s simple but very effective. If you are looking for a budget friendly simple MMA Grappling Dummy that isn’t overly expensive, this one’s a great choice!
- Filled. This dummy is a great product for grappling, throwing, training, fitness and MMA ground and pound.
- Ideal for myriad of training and fitness workouts, dummy comes with four padded reinforced handles on both sides and one top handle.
- Handles allow for a bevy of pushes, pulls, throws, thrusts, raises, rolls, etc. for serious MMA athletes and fitness workout.
- Made of durable polyester coated vinyl which provides same durability as leather, triple stitching.
- Measures: 38” x 15”, Weighs 60 Lbs. Color available: Black only
Title MMA is another brand that is known for making quality products. Their legged grappling dummy is a great addition to other grappling dummies on the market.
It is made of strong triple-ply synthetic leather cover. This dummy can be used for all types of training and comes with a removable hanging attachment. Which means this dummy could also be used as a hanging bag.
The Title MMA dummy comes in 2 sizes from 70lbs to 100lbs. The heavier version is only 20 bucks more. If you got the budget for it, that might be a worthy upgrade!
- This model has hands and feet ideal for wrist locks, ankle locks, heel hooks, knee bars, foot locks, toe hold, & more
- Made of synthetic leather material; heavy-duty, super tough and easy to clean unlike others made out of canvas
- High quality stitching, zippers, and inner lining
- Velcro shoulder joint to simulate 360 shoulder rotation; perfect for BJJ
- Can be filled with just about anything - waste cotton, any old fabric, cotton shirts, packing material, paper, plastic bags, sand, etc. (Comes Unfilled)
The Deagle Dr Bane Grappling Dummy is another great option. This product is for grapplers that don’t want to pay too much and fill their own dummy. This dummy has 4 limbs and is made of what Deagle describes as “unbreakable top canvas.” When it comes to picking a Jiu Jitsu and MMA Grappling dummy – that’s definitely a quality you should be looking for!
The biggest seller on this dummy is the price. You’ll easily be saving $150-$200 than what you’d pay for a filled dummy plus shipping.
This one has a pretty good quality to it and has three different designs to choose from. Just remember to fill it with a quality filler to get the most out of it.
- ✅PRACTICE FOR | Use this dummy to practice for BJJ-MMA-BOXING-WRESTLING-POLICE TRAINING- SPORTS TRAINING- JUDO -KARATE -KRAV MAGA- SELF DEFENCE.
- ✅DURABLE | Unbreakable Top grade canvas, Original imported zippers with overlap flap.
- ✅MOVABLE - VERSATILE | Fully movable arms & legs great for grappling and submission training.
- ✅UNFILLED | This will come as unfilled just to save you a lot of money as filled version will cost you over 500$ , you can fill this with shred textile / bean fillers/ used clothes / blankets / pillows insert / cotton .
- ✅100% GUARANTEE | If you have any issues with our deagle products please reach us out we will solve the issue for you with the best outcome possible.
There are a ton of grappling dummies out there. It can easily be overwhelming with the vast amount of choices available for you. But depending on what you intend to use it for, Jiu Jitsu and MMA Grappling Dummies can be a solid addition to your training.
Sometimes you might not be able to make it to the gym on time due to work conflicts or family obligations. Life happens. And when it does, having a grappling dummy can come in handy. Even if you might miss class, you can still continue drilling your techniques to sharpen up those moves!
We’ve highlighted some of our top favorite Jiu Jitsu and MMA Grappling Dummy available. These options are durable and are made and designed for specific types of combat training. We hope you can make an informed decision on what type of grappling dummy is best suited for you. These things are made to take a beating so have at it! Train hard! Roll Safe!