When it comes to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, you need to get the proper equipment to make sure you roll safely on the mats. Whether that’s getting a good mouth guard to keep those pearly whites intact or getting some finger tape to prevent finger injuries, you need to keep yourself protected! If you plan on doing BJJ long term, you need yourself a solid MMA or BJJ Rash Guard.
In a sport like Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, you put your body in some serious stress. Not only is it stressful on you joints, it really puts some stress on your skin as well. If you are familiar with BJJ Gi’s, you know how abrasive they can be on your skin. That friction between your Gi and your skin can get painful, like sandpaper sometimes! Not fun. But that’s where the BJJ Rash Guard comes in!
Just what is a BJJ Rash Guard you ask? Well, as you can probably guess, its clothing that prevents rashes! But in all seriousness, a Rash Guard is simply an elastic piece of fabric that not only keeps your body safe from any unwanted abrasions, it keeps your body cool with its moisture wicking properties.
In this guide we take a look at some of the best ones out there. Let’s take a look at the best MMA and BJJ Rash Guard available!
Top 5 Best MMA and BJJ Rash Guard
The first on the list will have to be the Hayabusa Metaru Long Sleeve BJJ Rash Guard. Hayabusa is easily one of our personal favorites when it comes to BJJ Gear. They make some of the best product selections for BJJ and MMA and you can certainly tell from their Metaru product line.
This BJJ Rash Guard is a great selection as it is composed with an elastane and polyester fabric, with special titanium coated fibers providing you with some serious comfort and protection during your rolls. It has excellent antibacterial and antifungal properties, keeping your body safe from those unwanted germies floating around on the mats.
The Hayabusa Metaru Charged Rash Guard has excellent moisture-wicking properties, designed to be breathable, keeping your body cool and optimal during even toughest of matches!
This BJJ Rash Guard is top of the line and certainly a must have if you’re serious about the sport. It’s featured in black, blue, red, and green. The Metaru Charged design is also featured in a short sleeve variation.
- Materials: Elastane and Polyester designed to deliver comfort, protection and performance
- Choose The Right Fit: Choose from Compression fit or Regular Fit; Compression fit compresses your muscles, provides support and feels like a second skin. Regular Fit go a size up It will fit perfectly, protect your skin and stay in place while you roll. See size chart
- Features: Silicon hem and High-end sublimation print
- Cleaning: Machine wash cold. Tumble dry low. Do not bleach.
- Model is 6′0″ Wearing size XL for Standard Form-Fit
Next on the list is the Fuji IBJJF Freestyle Long Sleeve Rash Guard. If you follow the martial arts game, you’d probably know the FUJI brand. They are staple in the fight game. They make some of the best BJJ mats, Gi, rashguards, you name it! FUJI has a solid reputation with a ton of experience in the industry.
Their Fuji IBJJF Freestyle Rash Guard is an excellent selection from the many selections of BJJ Rash Guard out there. It is made up of top of the line fabric, reinforced at the seams with a double locked stitching. This one is built to last and can be sure to take a beating!
Their Rash Guard has excellent anti-microbial and moisture wicking fabric to keep you fresh and cool during your matches. Their design looks super eye appealing, featuring their signature fuji logo with their Fuji Mountain printed up front with their Japanese insignia on the arm sleeve.
The Fuji Freestyle is available in all belt colors from white to black. It’s 100% IBJJF approved!
As one of leading manufacturers for BJJ and MMA alike, Sanabul has developed a Rash Guard fitted for beginners and experienced players alike with the Sanabul Essentials Compression BJJ Rash Guard.
Sanabul has long standing reputation of creating products that have both excellent quality and affordability. Though it’s a cheaper rash guard option compared to the other brands, don’t let that fool you, this one’s built like a champ.
It features a super elastic fabric, conforming real nicely to your body. It’s got a nice ventilated mesh on the underarms, keeping you nice and cool. It’s also got excellent moisture dispersing properties as well as a nice anti-microbial property to keep you fresh and clean.
The one thing that makes this one stand out is that it is treated with a UV SPF 50 protection, so you can wear it while doing some outdoor activities. You can wear it on a hike, on a run, or even wear it while surfing!
- Just What You Need: A rash guard created to go on the journey with you. We designed The Essential series to feel and perform like a premium product, but at a fair price
- Fit Right In: Sanabul Essentials sports a classic, uncluttered style that you can wear confidently on your first day or when upgrading to a cleaner look. These rashguards are also IBJJF legal
- Tested by Pros, Created for You: Some of the top competitors in the world rep Sanabul, like BJJ black belt Guilherme Bomba and legendary Jiu Jitsu coach, John Danaher. They put our designs through the ringer, so you can trust what you’re wearing has the same grit as you. Fabric treatment means longer life and cleaner training
- Designed to Perform: Other rash guards constrict your movement and overheat your body. Sanabul’s mesh underarms and gradual compression keeps you agile and provides better ventilation
- Good for Multiple Activities: We even added UV SPF 50 protection so you can take our rash guards out to the beach or the trail
Though a little bit newer compared to the others on the list, Gold BJJ has quickly made a name for themselves in producing top quality BJJ gear. You can certainly tell from their BJJ Gi and BJJ Rash Guard.
Their Gold BJJ Jiu Jitsu Camo Compression Rash Guard is phenomenal. The design features a slick camouflage design along the arm sleeves of the BJJ Rash Guard. The Rash Guard is super light, strong and very breathable. Its not constricting at all so you can move around with ease.
A few excellent features we did like is that it uses a smooth flatlock stitch work. In other words it’s built like a rock – it can take a massive beating and its built to stand the test of time! Another premium feature is that the graphics are digitally printed, they wont peel or crack even after you use and abuse it.
Our favorite part? It doesn’t ride up! If you’ve used a few of the cheaper rash guard options, a lot of them roll up. By the time your done with your match, its like your wearing a sports bra! This one stays pretty snug throughout. This one’s a must have for sure!
- LIGHTWEIGHT, ULTRA STRONG, AND BREATHABLE - Our jiu jitsu rashguard is made from an ultralight moisture wicking blend. It's the perfect rash guard for gi or no-gi jiu jitsu, wrestling, MMA, and post roll surfing. Now available in Long Sleeve and Short Sleeve!
- FULLY SUBLIMATED DIGITAL PRINTING - Screen printed rashguards flake, peel, and crack. Not ours! We splurged on fully sublimated printing so the graphics on our rashguard look as good after fifty washes as they do on day one.
- SMOOTH FLATLOCK STITCHING - Cheapo rashguards designed by people who haven't set foot on the mats in years can come with stitching so rough it'll make you want to tap. We fine tuned the stitch on this rashguard to feel invisible while you roll.
- IT'S A RASHGUARD, NOT A CROP TOP - Know the feeling of a rashguard that's too short and keeps hiking up on you? Yea, we do too; it sucks. That's why we designed our rashguard with a slightly extended trim.
- BACKED BY THE GOLD BJJ GUARANTEE - We're not a huge conglomerate, we're a small family business owned and operated by jiu jitsu athletes. It's important to us that we're creating products loved by the BJJ community, and that's why we back them with the Gold BJJ Guarantee: if for any reason you're not thrilled with your rashguard, we'll replace or refund your order no-questions-asked.
If you are strictly a BJJ practitioner, you probably haven’t heard of Anthem Athletics. But don’t sleep on these guys, they produce some quality fight gear. They’ve got some real slick BJJ Fight shorts, BJJ Rash Guards, boxing gloves, and many other products.
The Anthem Athletics HELO-X is an excellent addition to your BJJ Rash Guard selection. What makes it stand out is the varieties of designs you have available. The HELO-X product line alone has over ten different styles with multiple color schemes. Some of their designs are also IBJJF Approved but not all of them, so be sure to pick one that is if you plan on competing in a No Gi Tournament!
The HELO-X product line is made up of an ultra light and ultra strong compression fabric, keeping you protected and comfortable even in the toughest match. It features a fully sublimated graphics and logos, making sure it doesn’t peel or crack.
Overall, the Anthem Athletics HELO-X is an excellent choice when shopping around for a Rash Guard. With so many designs available, you can probably buy two or three to add to your rotation!
- Made from lightweight, ultra-strong, moisture-wicking, compression material
- Multi-panel construction, high-density flat-lock stitching for optimal fit and durability
- Fully-sublimated graphics and logos that will never crack or peel
- Optimized for the highest level of athletic performance in BJJ (line camo color options IBJJF approved), MMA, catch wrestling, no-gi, and submission grappling
- Want the right fit? Follow our product specific sizing chart (last product image) for sizing and fit guidance.
Why Even Wear a Rash Guard?
One question that often comes up when first starting BJJ is why even wear a rash guard when training? While its true that you absolutely need to have a Rash Guard if you train No-Gi Jiu Jitsu. Is it really necessary if you only want to train in the Gi?
In competitions you typically aren’t even allowed to wear a Gi – especially in a tournament like IBJJF. And even in the earlier days of BJJ or Vale Tudo, fighters usually fought shirtless in grappling matches. It wasn’t until BJJ was popularized in the States when Surfers got introduced to the sport. They brought the surfer culture into the mix and came the birth of the BJJ Rash Guard.
So that brings us back to the question, do you even need to wear a rash guard? Well, the short answer is no, you don’t really need to have a rash guard underneath your Gi. You can certainly get away with wearing just a simple T-shirt underneath or be shirtless underneath your Gi. However, if you do plan on doing this long term, there is some risk implications involved without a rash guard.
Some risks involved without wearing a rash guard include injury, bacterial growth, staph infection, mat burn, and skin abrasions.
A BJJ Rash Guard is simply one of those things that you absolutely must have if you plan on doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu long term. No matter if you plan on doing No-Gi or Gi Jiu Jitsu, get your self a nice BJJ Rash Guard.
Having a Rash Guard keeps you safe in your matches, preventing skin abrasions and injury. It also prevents bacterial growth like staph infections and ring worm. The last thing you want is to be disqualified from a tournament because you didn’t take the proper risk implications!
Not only does a Rash Guard keep you safe from bacterial infections and injuries, it makes you look pretty dang cool too. You’d look like a superhero wearing one of these things. That alone should be enough to buy one – or three!
In any case, we’ve highlighted some of the best MMA and BJJ Rash Guard out there. Choose wisely and go out there and train! Train Hard! Roll Safe!